Saturday 18 July 2015

Tyres and Long Distance Drive

Check out your tyres before proceeding to long distance drive! 
The other day I drove from Kuching to Miri (about 1000km) and when I came back from Miri, after travelliing 150km (50km from Bintulu), one of the tyres exploded (too hot and the tyres were 3 years old). This was what it looked like after I stopped.

I did not lose control but the vehicle suddenly was unbalanced and making a lot of frictional noise.
Luckily, the spare tyre was working (often, the apare tyre does not have enough air), but one of the bolt screws was not being able to take out because the mechanic did not screw back properly after changing the tyre. He did not screw back according to the threads, but forced screwed by using pneumatic screw tightener. So I had a hard time taken this screw out and finally when it was taken out, the threads of the bolt were gone. I managed to screw back the other five screws and travelled to Bintulu to change a pair of tyres and the bolt screw.
More than two hours were wasted ! 
Luckily it was during the day time, sometimes I travelled at night.


No comments:

Post a Comment