Tuesday 18 February 2014

Car Accident

A family friend passed away on the 16th  Feberuary 2014 in a car accident. He was just 35 years old, young, forward moving and hard working English Teacher. It was a shock to my family as he often came by my house and mixed well with my wife and children. He was also my wife's former student and colleague.
Further hurt was made by a local newspaper who put up the accident as front page news with photograph of his body lying around. I hope the Owner and Editor of this newspaper had some sensitivity and ethics of not putting up the body in the newspaper like that.  Just to sensationalise and earn a few extra bucks, did they know how much pain would this bring to the family? What if the victim is their children?  

Accidents have taken many young lives. My most unforgettable accident was during my first year holidays in the University of Malaya, I was invited by my classmate to go to Singapore together. I declined as I had to re-sit one failed paper, electricity. Three days later, I got the news that there was a terrible accident, seven people died in the collision. Two of them were my eight-year classmates and another one was also from Sarikei. They were just twenty-one. This was my first ever shock in my life because I never felt and faced death before.
Until today, their names and images are still vivid.  


No comments:

Post a Comment